Spotlight

Paint





by Tyrin Culmer. 12 years old

“Latisha, get your behind out of bed and go to school!” mom yelled from the other room.

“Alright, geesh!” I screamed back, holding my blanket which was thinner than paper and painted by me.

Should I have said that? Probably not, because the next thing I felt was a SMACK! My face was red and Angela’s massive hand-print was left on my right cheek.

I live with just my mother. I will never forget when I received the worst call ever: finding out that my daddy was dead. Ever since then my mom and I have never been the same.

I got out of bed, got dressed, and headed for school.

“Bye!” mom said angrily.

“Bye!” I answered in a sassy voice, with my hand on my hip as I walked out on my tippy toes.

This was my first time in a new school so I looked for the door with the number six on it and I walked into the class quietly. Click clock.

“Good morning… Latisha?” asked Mr. Daniels.

I put my hand on my kimba, leaned to the side and said “Ummm….. You’re the teacher, aren’t you supposed to know my name?”

“Well Latisha, you can walk your hip down to the principal’s office and ask him what your name is!” he responded in a really stern voice.

“Whatever!” I replied as I rolled my eyes and left.

Break time came and I sat under the cabana. All of a sudden ten girls came around me!

“Oh my gosh, you’re so brave!” they shouted.

“Uh, thanks?”  They said that the way I stood up to the teacher was so cool. I felt my cheeks get red and my heart swelled up. I was never popular before but it felt great.

The next day I came to school in my best clothes. Everyone was amazed by how good I looked.

“Girllll you need to let me come shopping at your house!” Tracy exclaimed.

I laughed and kept walking. “Hallelujah, it’s the last class for today!” I shouted while waving my hands. The teacher gave me a funny look but I rolled my eyes.

“Latisha can you go to the arts cupboard and get the paint please?” Mr. Daniels asked.

“Okay, I guess.” Little did I know this would be the nicest thing someone said to me in a long time. I went to the arts cupboard and tippy toed to get the paint from off the fifth shelf. Finally I got it, but… AHH! All the paint fell on me! My hair wasn’t blonde anymore; it was all the colors of the rainbow! And so was the rest of my body! I walked slowly into the classroom.

EVERYONE was laughing. I ran home, leaving orange and purple tear-stains on the sidewalk.

The next day I didn’t go to school, and of course my mother didn’t care. I needed a plan. I knew I wasn’t a vengeful person but I wondered if I could make an exception.

Late that night it came to me. “I GOT IT!” I shouted.

“Be quiet!” mom yelled.

 “I got it.” I whispered. “I will make it rain paint drops.”

The next day I started my plan. I ordered 100 gallons of paint and poured it over the whole town! In a week’s time, all the paint had evaporated and the sky was colorful.

The next day on everybody’s walk to school and work, it started to rain. But it didn’t rain water drops—it rained paint drops! I grinned and quickly got dressed for school after the rain had stopped. I shot through the room six door and laughed at everyone covered in paint. Finally, when I caught my breath, everyone laughed at me!

“NO! Why are you all laughing at me?” I asked, bewildered.

“You’re the only one not covered in paint!” Danny said bent over and laughing.

At that moment my mother came. She must have been talking to the principal about my behavior and overheard the laughter.

“What’re you doing here?” I asked.

“I’m here for you!” she answered.

I must have had a dumbfounded look on my face because she kept talking. “Now look, this girl is special and laughing at her makes you look stupid!” she said in a stern voice to my classmates.

My cheeks burned and I put my head down. She hugged me. I felt my heart swell. I couldn’t remember the last time we hugged!

“Let’s go home,” she said, gesturing her hand for me to come. We turned around and walked home.

“Tish?” mom asked in a strange voice.

“Yes?” I answered.

“Next time can you make it rain chocolate, cotton candy or gum drops?” “Ha-ha, yes ma’am!”

I was glad to finally have my old life back. Who would have thought that making it rain paint could bring a mother and daughter together?


-

Tyrin Culmer is twelve years old and from the Bahamas. She is currently in grade seven. Her hobbies include swimming and playing softball and basketball. Recently, at The Bahamas Primary School Student of the Year Ceremony, she placed sixth out of one hundred and twelve of the smartest and brightest students in the entire Bahamas. She wrote "Paint" as an assignment for English class.


Share on Google Plus

About Anansesem

Anansesem is an online magazine of Caribbean children's and young adult literature by adults and children. We strive to bring you the best in news, reviews and creative content from the world of Caribbean children's publishing.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

6 comments:

  1. Tracy CulmerDecember 20, 2013

    Tyrin we are so proud of you. This story make you laugh, cry and feel proud all at the same time. The family is overjoyed, our Tyrin is a published writer! Thank you for reader and liking it enough to publish it in your magazine she is definitely going to have a wonderful Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY NICE!!!! I absolutely love this! it made me laugh and cry and i want more!! very good story Tyrin i will be checking back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Tyrin! I really enjoyed your story keep up the good work i see great writing potential in you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tyrin, I love your story! It's so creative, very well-written, and I love the happy ending!! GREAT JOB and congratulations on being published!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer StoneJanuary 07, 2014

    I'm so proud to have been Tyrin's teacher. This is only the first of her many published pieces—look out, world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is funny and fantastic. Great work, Tyrin!

    ReplyDelete

Interviews

This Month's Books